Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thankful

Thanksgiving is just behind us, but the thankfulness I feel for what I have in life goes on.

I'm thankful for my husband of 47 1/2 years. Our marriage was anything but calm and peaceful for many, many years, but after 20 years we finally came to a tentative truce in our fights and disagreements. After 30 years we became good friends and lovers. After 40 years? It's a wonderful life and I'm so glad I have spent so much of it with him.

I'm thankful for my children, my grandchildren and my great grandchildren. I can't imagine a life without them! They fill me with joy every minute of every day, whether I'm physically near them or not. I love all of them so very much.

I'm thankful for my husband's family - his mother who is 100 years old and all of his siblings - Judy, Roger, Valerie, and Larry (his half brother). Since all of my family is gone now except for cousins, it's a real blessing for me to have sisters and brothers by marriage, at least. And I couldn't be closer to them if they were my own.

I'm thankful for the health that I do have. No, I'm not thankful for the health problems I endure, but I'm VERY thankful that at least those aren't cancer problems.

I'm thankful for our homes - we own two of them, now, free and clear and can spend summers up in eastern Washington - just two miles from Idaho - where the weather is absolutely perfect and winters down in Arizona, where we are out of the snow and freezing cold.

I'm thankful for all of my writing friends. I have so many! Some I met through SCBWI (the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators) and many I met through the internet and my message board.

I'm thankful that after way too many years of my creative writing self being "dried up" and "too busy" and "worn out" I am finally actively writing again. YAY! At this point, I'm in a Creative Writing Class in the RV Park where I live in Arizona and we are meeting once a week. Each week we write a story based on a different topic. This week we picked ten random words out of my Apples to Apples game box and we have to write a story using three of those words. Belly Dancers, Ghosts, an Insane Asylum, a Dark Alley, a Swiss Bank Account, Caffine, Having an Operation, a Divorce, Predictable, and Pathetic are our words to pick from for this week's story. This should be an interesting writing week!

Today we are driving 8 hours to return one of our granddaughters to her house. She came to visit for a few days. It's been a great week!


1 comment:

Agyw said...

Verla if anyone deserves all those positives it's you. If we are actually able to "earn" them, you most certainly have. I've appreciated your friendship and goodwill over the years, and am so happy to hear you're writing again! Coming up on the Christmas holidays, I hope they are bright and joyous for you! (Can you tell, procrastination hijacked me again! I was moseying over to my blog to write a post on backgrounds and distractions and such, and got, DISTRACTED!). Love you so much!